The Dividend Aristocrats are a select group of currently 57 S&P 500 stocks with 25+ years of consecutive dividend increases.These 57 are large, US companies that have historically provided (slightly) better performance and (slightly) lower volatility than the S&P 500 as a whole.
S&P 500 applies the following criteria to construct the Dividend Aristocrats list:
- must be members of the S&P 500
- must have increased dividends every year for at least 25 consecutive years
- Market Cap at least USD 3 billion
- Liquidity at least USD 5 million (average daily value traded)
- Diversification, at least 40 constituents and not sector allocation above 30%
On January 24th, 2018, the following stocks were added to the Dividend Aristocrats Index:
- Praxair (PX),
- Roper Technologies (ROP),
- A.O. Smith Corporation (AOS).
C.R. Bard (BCR) was removed from the Index after it was acquired by fellow Dividend Aristocrat Becton-Dickinson (BDX).
Source: S&P News Release
Please note that Praxair Inc. is to be acquired by Linde.
See also an overview of all changes since 2009