Here’s the list of the Dogs of the Dow 2015 including the small dogs. Three stocks are new to the list for 2015, which are Caterpillar (CAT), ExxonMobil (XOM) and Coca-Cola (KO) replacing 3 IT-related stock, Microsoft (MSFT), Cisco Systems (CSCO) and Intel (INTC).
Performance Dogs of the Dow
The performance over 2014 for the “Dogs”was 13.11% outperforming the Dow Jones (10.95%) but underperforming the S&P500 (14.70%)
In 9 of the last 14 years, the “Dogs” have beaten the Dow by an average of about 1 percent. In 2014, the index is going towards a 11 percent total return, while the Dogs of the Dow are up 12 percent.
In the last 14 years, the Dogs posted a total average return of 8.9 percent, compared to a gain of 7.6 percent for the Dow and a total return of 7.3 percent for the S&P 500.
When looking at the broader market, the Dogs strategy comes up short. When compared with the performance of the Dow and the S&P, the Dogs of the Dow strategy outperforms only half of the time.