- The European Dividend Aristocrats are based (by S&P) on the 40 highest dividend-yielding Eurozone companies within the S&P Europe Broad Market Index (BMI).
- European Dividend Aristocrats managed dividends policy of increasing or stable dividends for at least 10 consecutive years, which is different from the US-edition.
- This article lists the current European Dividend Aristocrat constituents and their recent returns
- By showing the recent performance of the Europen Dividend Aristocrats, some active dividend growth investors may be able to identify relative bargains.
- The European Dividend Aristocrats posted a +2.7% return in August 2020.
The S&P Europe 350 index ended the month up with a gain of 3%. Nearly every country contributed positively, with Germany and France contributing the most.
The European Dividend Aristocrats showed similar performance and posted a gain of 2.67% in August 2020. However, the (high yield) European Dividend Aristocrats are still down -15.7% year-to-date, which is a major underperformance compared to its benchmark.
The 10 years annualized total returns of the European Dividend Aristocrats and the S&P Europe 350 are 6.84% for the aristocrats and 6.95% for the SP Europe 350.
Below the year-by-year performance since 2010.
European Dividend Aristocrats performance in August 2020
The table below lists all 40 constituents and lists returns over the trailing last month, dividend yield plus the year-to-date performance.
Key takeaways from August’s performance:
- Top performance in August with more than 10% are UPM-Kymmene and Deutsche Post
- Laggards: in August are UCB, Heineken, Sanofi, Enagas and Glanbia.
- Year-to-date the three best performing dividend aristocrats are UCB SA, Software Ag and Sofina.
- The current indicated average dividend yield is 4.16% and a projected P/E of 17.64.
Dividends and Dividend Yield
Next to dividend growth investing, a high yield dividend could also be an approach. The table below lists the top-10 European Dividend Aristocrats sorted descending by the current dividend yield (end of August 2020).
The above-presented performance data of the European Dividend Aristocrats could assist active dividend growth investors to find some bargains for the long run. Interested in the latest data and also dividend growth rates, members can use the European dividend aristocrats dashboard.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article.
Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to service[@]moneyinvestexpert.com.