The ‘Dogs Of The Dow’ approach
The Dogs of The Dow is an investing strategy that consists of buying the 10 stocks with the highest dividend yield out of the Dow 30 at the beginning of the year. The portfolio should be adjusted at the beginning of each year to include the 10 highest yielding stocks. It’s important to note that this is a long-term investment strategy. In the long run, the average return of the Dogs should outperform the Dow-30.
The ‘Dogs Of Dividend Aristocrats’ approach
The Dogs of the Dividend Aristocrats is based on the same investing strategy as the famous “Dogs of The Dow”, only with the difference that the index used is not the Dow 30, but the Dividend Aristocrats index. This index is defined by S&P indices company.
S&P applies the following criteria to construct the Dividend Aristocrats list:
- must be members of the S&P 500
- must have increased dividends every year for at least 25 consecutive years
- Market Cap at least USD 3 billion
- Liquidity at least USD 5 million (average daily value traded)
- Diversification, at least 40 constituents and not sector allocation above 30%
By end of December 2018, the dividend aristocrats list had 53 members, the following 10 stocks with the highest dividend yield make the Dogs of the Dividend Aristocrats for 2019: