- The European Dividend Aristocrats are based (by S&P) on the 40 highest dividend-yielding Eurozone companies within the S&P Europe Broad Market Index (BMI).
- European Dividend Aristocrats managed dividends policy of increasing or stable dividends for at least 10 consecutive years, which is different from the US-edition.
- This article lists the current European Dividend Aristocrat constituents and their recent returns
- By showing the recent performance of the Europen Dividend Aristocrats, some active dividend growth investors may be able to identify relative bargains.
- The European Dividend Aristocrats posted a small gain of +0.86% return in September 2020.
The S&P Europe 350 index ended the month down with -1.45%, due to this negative last month the index closed -0.03% in Q3.
The European Dividend Aristocrats showed similar performance and posted a gain of 0.86% in the last quarter. The (high yield) European Dividend Aristocrats are still down -7.44% year-to-date, which is an outperformance compared to its benchmark.
The 10 years annualized total returns of the European Dividend Aristocrats and the S&P Europe 350 are 8.7% for the aristocrats and 6.58% for the SP Europe 350.
Below the year-by-year performance since 2010.
European Dividend Aristocrats performance in September 2020
The table below lists all 40 constituents and lists returns over the trailing last month, dividend yield plus the year-to-date performance.
- Top performance in September with more than 9% are Merck and Fuchs Petrolub.
- Laggards: in September are the financials and energy sectors.
- Year-to-date the three best performing dividend aristocrats are UCB SA, Software Ag, and DSM.
- The current indicated average dividend yield is 3.08% and a projected P/E of 17.64.
Dividends and Dividend Yield
Next to dividend growth investing, a high yield dividend could also be an approach. The table below lists the top-10 European Dividend Aristocrats sorted descending by the current dividend yield (end of September 2020).
High-yield go often hand-in-hand with lower price performance. The best performing year-to-date European aristocrats are definitely in the “low-yield” section.
The above-presented performance data of the European Dividend Aristocrats could assist active dividend growth investors to find some bargains for the long run. Interested in the latest data and also dividend growth rates, members can use the European dividend aristocrats dashboard.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article.
Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to service[@]moneyinvestexpert.com.