- he Dividend Aristocrats are companies of the S&P 500 that have paid steadily increasing dividends for at least 25 years have outperformed the broader market over time, like in 2018.
- This article lists the current Dividend Aristocrat constituents and their recent returns
- By showing the recent performance of the Dividend Aristocrats, some active dividend growth investors may be able to identify relative bargains.
- The top-10 dividend Aristocrats by current dividend yield are also listed.
- The Dividend Aristocrats posted a +3.41% return in September.
Despite a presidential impeachment process, trade tensions between the United States, China, and Europe and slowing economic growth the U.S. equities recovered in September to end the third quarter on a positive note, with the S&P 500 up almost 21% year-to-date. The S&P 500 dividend aristocrats are outperforming the S&P 500 in September and end up 3.41% for this month. Especially the defensive sectors leading the way up this quarter.
Details performance September 2019
The table below lists all 57 constituents, sorted by indicated dividend yield and lists returns over trailing last month, 3-, 6-, and 12-month periods.
42 dividend aristocrats posted positive returns in August. AbbVie (ABBV) & Emerson (EMR) were amongst the top-performers with 15.18% and 12.20%, respectively. ADP (ADP) and S&P Global (SPGI) had a difficult month and fell both around 5%.
Dividends and Dividend Yield
Next to dividend growth investing, high yield dividend could also be an approach. The table below lists the top-10 Dividend Aristocrats sorted descending by the current dividend yield (end of September 2019).
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article. Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to email@example.com.