- The Dividend Aristocrats are companies of the S&P 500 that have paid steadily increasing dividends for at least 25 years have outperformed the broader market over time, like in 2018.
- This article lists the current Dividend Aristocrat constituents and their recent returns
- By showing the recent performance of the Dividend Aristocrats, some active dividend growth investors may be able to identify relative bargains.
- The top-10 dividend Aristocrats by current dividend yield are also listed.
- The Dividend Aristocrats posted a +1.2% return in June 2020.
US equities gained another 2% in June, as markets anticipated relief from a COVID-19-driven economic slowdown and more stimulus from the Fed and Congress. The S&P 500 gained 21% in the second quarter of 2020, which is one of the best quarterly performance in decades.
The US Dividend Aristocrats index gained 1.20% in June 2020 and is still struggling to show its defensive character and keeping up with the pace of the S&P 500. Year-to-date the US Dividend Aristocrats are even down -9.68% underperforming the S&P 500.
Dividend Aristocrats performance in June 2020
The table below lists all 63 constituents, excluding the recently added spin-offs Carrier Global (CARR) and Otis Worldwide (OTIS), sorted by indicated dividend yield and lists returns over trailing last month, 3-, 6-, and 12-month periods.
- Top performance in June 2020 with more than 10% were Leggett & Platt Incorporated (LEG) and Realty Income (O).
- Laggards: in June about 50% of the dividend Aristocrats were negative, with Ecolab (ECL), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Medtronic (MDT) down more than 5%.
Year-to-date the S&P 500 is still down -3%. At the moment of writing, 16 dividend aristocrats did recover from the corona-dip. Clorox company is a clear leader with +43.75% year-to-date. The table below lists all dividend aristocrats with a positive year-to-date performance.
The above-presented performance data of the Dividend Aristocrats could assist active dividend growth investors to find some bargains for the long run. Interested in the latest data and also dividend growth rates, check our dividend aristocrats dashboard.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article.
Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to service[@]moneyinvestexpert.com.