- The Dividend Aristocrats are companies of the S&P 500 that have paid steadily increasing dividends for at least 25 years have outperformed the broader market over time, like in 2018.
- This article lists the current Dividend Aristocrat constituents and their recent returns
- By showing the recent performance of the Dividend Aristocrats, some active dividend growth investors may be able to identify relative bargains.
- The top-10 dividend Aristocrats by current dividend yield are also listed.
- The Dividend Aristocrats posted a -2.58% return in January 2020.
U.S. equities didn’t continue their way up in January after strong gains in December and November for the S&P 500. The year started strong, but gains were erased towards the end of the month as a result of coronavirus fears. The S&P 500 was almost flat (-0.04%) in January.
Dividend Aristocrats performance January 2020
The table below lists all 64 constituents, including the 7 new aristocrats added in 2020, sorted by indicated dividend yield and lists returns over trailing last month, 3-, 6-, and 12-month periods.
Only 29 dividend aristocrats posted positive returns in the first month of 2020. The 2020 dividend aristocrat Albemarle Corporation (ALB) jumped +10.6%. Also, T. Rowe Price Group Inc. (TROW) and McDonald’s Corporation (MCD) were also amongst the top-performers with 10% and 8%.
Dividends and Dividend Yield
Next to dividend growth investing, a high yield dividend could also be an approach. The table below lists the top-10 Dividend Aristocrats sorted descending by the current dividend yield (end of January 2020).
The above-presented performance data of the Dividend Aristocrats could assist active dividend growth investors to find some bargains for the long run. Interested in the latest data and also dividend growth rates, check our dividend aristocrats dashboard.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article.
Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to service[@]moneyinvestexpert.com.