Published November 19th, 2018
We analyzed each Dividend Aristocrat by looking at their earnings, dividends, maximum draw down (MDD) and stock price performance during the 2007-2009 financial crisis.
Instantly Get access to the finalized ranking of all the Dividend Aristocrats’ recession performance.
Your spreadsheet will be made available to you after you enter your email address and click to join.
The dividend aristocrat Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL) manufactures and sells consumer products worldwide. It operates through two segments, Oral, Personal and Home Care; and Pet Nutrition. The company offers oral care products, including toothpastes, toothbrushes, and mouthwashes, as well as pharmaceutical products for dentists and other oral health professionals. Colgate-Palmolive is founded in 1806 and has 35,900 employees.
The company’s earnings-per-share performance during the Recession period (2007-2009) can be seen below:
- 2007 adjusted earnings-per-share of $1.69
- 2008 adjusted earnings-per-share of $1.83 (8.3% increase)
- 2009 adjusted earnings-per-share of $2.19 (20% increase)
- 2010 adjusted earnings-per-share of $2.16 (1.4% decline)
Colgate-Palmolive continued to grow its profits during the recession, showing that the company and its business-model is very recession-resistant.
Colgate-Palmolive (CL) stock performance 2007-2009
The Colgate-Palmolive share price performance in the recession period can be seen below:
Colgate-Palmolive (CL) Dividends 2007-2010
Dividend Aristocrat Colgate-Palmolive has been able to increase dividends for 55 consecutive years include the 2007-2010 period and is also a member of the dividend kings list:
No Data available for Dividend History.
See also the overall performance of the dividend aristocrats during recession.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article.
Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to service[@]moneyinvestexpert.com.