Published November 19th, 2018
We analyzed each Dividend Aristocrat by looking at their earnings, dividends, maximum draw down (MDD) and stock price performance during the 2007-2009 financial crisis.
Dividend Aristocrat Automatic Data Processing (ADP) is a business services outsourcing company with a focus on is a provider of human capital management (HCM) solutions to employers. The company has a market capitalization $62 billion (November 2018) and was founded in 1949.
Automatic Data Processing is very recession-resistant and has been able to increase dividend pay-outs for 42 consecutive years include the 2007-2010 period.
The company’s adjusted earnings-per-share performance during the Recession period (2007-2009) can be seen below.
- 2007 adjusted earnings-per-share of $1.83
- 2008 adjusted earnings-per-share of $2.20 (20% increase)
- 2009 adjusted earnings-per-share of $2.39 (8.6% increase)
- 2010 adjusted earnings-per-share of $2.39 (flat)
Automatic Data Processing’s adjusted earnings-per-share rose each and every year of the 2007-2009 financial crisis.
Automatic Data Processing (ADP) stock performance 2007-2009
The company’s share price also performed reasonably well and can be seen below.
ADP Dividends 2007-2010
Automatic Data Processing (ADP) dividends also increased during this recession, as shown in the bar chart below:
No Data available for Dividend History.
See also the overall performance of the dividend aristocrats during recession.
Other Sources of Dividend Investment Ideas
The Dividend Aristocrats list is not the only way to quickly screen for businesses that regularly pay rising dividends.
- The Dividend Kings List is even more exclusive than the Dividend Aristocrats. It is comprised of less than 20 businesses with 50+ years of consecutive dividend increases.
- The MoneyInvestExpert Defensive Aristocrats is a performance-based top-10 selection of the Dividend Aristocrats to outperform the market on the long-term.
- Portfolio lists like the Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio or Bill Gates’stock portfolio can be a source.
- For the European focused investors there is also the list of European Dividend Aristocrats.
- Dividend Champions are not necessarily members of the S&P 500 index, have increased their dividend for 25 or more consecutive years.
- 100+ years of dividend, the list of stocks that pay over 100 year of dividend can be an list of inspiration.
Next to selecting the right dividend stocks, important principles for successful long-term investing are Disciple, Diversification, Defensive & indeed Dividend. Read more about this in our free e-book.
Thanks for reading this article. Please send any feedback, corrections, or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.